Today, in vitro fertilization (IVF) is a widely used word, known to everyone. In Vitro precisely means, in glass, as the fertilization and early embryo formation happen in a laboratory dish. IVF is also known as the “test-tube baby procedure,” even though embryos are neither impregnated nor grown in a test tube. Louise Brown, born in England in 1978, was the first such baby who was conceived outside her mother’s womb.
Unlike the uncomplicated process of artificial insemination in which sperm is placed in the uterus and conception happens. Otherwise normally IVF involves combining eggs and sperm outside the body in liquid in a laboratory. Once an embryo or embryos formation is done, they are then placed in the uterus. IVF is a complex and an expensive procedure. Only about 5% of couples with infertility seek it out. Since its introduction in the U.S. in 1981, IVF and other types of IVF techniques have blessed many unproductivecouples.
Let us look at the possibilities that a couple can explore using In Vitro Fertilization, keeping in mind the benefits that this procedure can yield to.
Types of In Vitro Fertilisation
- Conventional IVF: In conventional IVF, comparatively high numbers of egg cells are generated in the initial stage of treatment using medications. Different medications are used in the process as per the stimulation protocol. It is the best option for women over 35 years of age, with unexplained fertility, blocked or damaged Fallopian tubes. Undoubtedly, there are other treatments available apart from this one as this holds around 12% chances of success.
- Natural Cycle IVF: It involves egg collection aligned with a woman’s natural menstrual cycle.There are no stimulation drugs or injections involved. It works with a woman’s menstrual cycle to collect the egg naturally selected by her body. Natural Cycle IVF is suitable for every woman who is still ovulating and wants to avoid stimulation IVF drugs or other complicated medications.
Avery delicate and definedinfertility treatment natural IVF involves the need of experience and IVF specialist medical consultants. It is highly recommended for women with low ovarian or egg reserve, with poor response to conventional high-stimulation IVF, or wants to avoid the risks and side effects of high stimulation IVF.
- Minimal stimulation IVF: Mini-IVF (also known as micro or minimal stimulation IVF) is similar to conventional IVF in the procedures used during its treatment. Mini-IVF makes use of mild or lower doses of medications that produce only a few eggs. It may also be possible without any ovarian stimulating drugs. Because less quantity of fertility drugs are used, the cost per cycle is lower, and the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is reduced.
- ICSI: is a type of IVF usually preferred where a man has a very low sperm count or poor sperm motility. With standard IVF, approximately 100,000 sperm are placed in with each egg and kept overnight in an incubator with the hope that one sperm will fertilize each egg. In ICSI, a single chosen sperm is carefully injected into the selected egg for the IVF procedure.
- IVF using donor eggs: In IVF with donor eggs, the process is identical except that the donor undergoes ovarian stimulation and egg collection. The donor eggs are then fused with the male partner’s sperm and the embryo transplanted into the woman’s womb. The success rate for IVF with donor eggs is much higher around 60 per cent due to young donor’s eggs.
- ICSI with TESA/Micro TESE : For couples with azoospermia this process is used and patient is able to father there own genetic child
- IVF using donor sperm :In IVF with donor sperm ,donors sperm is used instead of partner
- IVF with surrogacy: The womb of a third person is used .
- PGT – It is used with couples having anomalous babies or those facing recurrent miscarriages , recurrent IVF failures
The Benefit of IVF Types of Treatment
The ultimate benefit of the IVF procedure is achieving a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby. IVF is making this a reality for people who are unable to have a baby otherwise.
Dr. Richika Sahay Shukla, IVF Specialist, India IVF Infertility Clinic said, “The different types of IVF procedures have contributed a lot in bringing back smile on the face of infertile couples. Many of them were disheartened. A few of the couples had lost the complete hope. But the success rate of IVF process developed the ray of hope and childless families are approaching IVF specialists for the consultation and treatment.”
Below are the key advantages of various types of In Vitro Fertilisation
- Blocked tubes: For women with blocked or damaged Fallopian tubes, IVF facilitates the best chance of having a child using their own eggs.
- Older patients/ patients with a low ovarian reserve: IVF can be used to maximize the chance of older patients conceiving especially women above 35 years of age.
- Male infertility: Couples with a male infertility problem will stand a higher chance of conceiving with IVF than naturally.
- Unexplained infertility: 1 in 6 couples might suffer fertility problems and sometimes these remain not properly diagnosed after investigation. These patients may benefit from various types of In Vitro fertilizationperformed under the close observation and consultation of infertility specialist.
- PCOS: Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which there is a hormone imbalance that leads to irregular menstrual cycles. IVF has proved very successful in patients with PCOS, who may be unsuccessful in conceiving with ovulation induction.
- Endometriosis: Women with endometriosis, where parts of the womb lining grow outside the womb, may like to try IVF, as it has proved successful with these type of patients.
- Premature ovarian failure: Women with premature ovarian failure or menopause can have IVF treatment using donor eggs, which typically has high success rates.
- Has a safe track record: The first ‘IVF baby’, Louise Brown, was born using natural IVF in 1978. Since then, technology has advanced, and more research has brought safer and successful treatment.
- A boon to single women and same-sex couples: For single women or homogeneous couples who wish to have a child, IVF provides a great opportunity for helping them to become parents.
Patients experiencing problem in achieving pregnancy through the natural reproduction process should consult professional IVF specialist without delay. It will open the way for varied options. There are various types of In Vitro Fertilisation that can aid in overcoming the problem of unproductiveness. Your decision of getting treatment from the best infertility clinic can increase your chances of taking the limitless joy in parenthood.
Rush to book your appointment with the trusted centres like India IVF Infertility Clinic located in Gurgaon and other cities in the different states.