IVF – Overview
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a widely used and popular type of assisted reproductive technology. It is one of the most effective procedures used to overcome the problem of infertility. It has a higher success rate in comparison to the other procedures used by infertility specialists.
The IVF cost and the percentage of positive results depend on the patient’s age and medical complications. However, doctors try their best to lessen the stress of a couple suffering from the problem of infertility. The specialist treating a patient tries to develop the confidence to increase the chances of parenthood.
How does IVF Work?
IVF is also known as In Vitro Fertilization which deals with the difficulties of infertility that cause major hindrance for the women in getting pregnant naturally. In this process, the mature eggs are removed from the uterus of the women and sperm are fertilized in the lab. Then the fertilized egg is directly placed in the uterus of the women undergoing the IVF procedure.
It is the most effective method to cure blockage in the fallopian tubes when surgery remains ineffective. It increases the chances of pregnancy in the woman who is struggling with the issues of infertility. The entire cycle takes place within 3 weeks which help women to get pregnant again. The procedure can be done with their eggs or partner’s sperm or it may use the eggs, sperm, and embryos of an anonymous donor.
IVF Success Factors
There are many factors playing a vital role in the IVF process and success. Let us here learn about the few leading factors affecting IVF success in the country.
The Key IVF Success Factors
- Age: The young women from the age of 24 to 34 have higher chances of successful pregnancy as the women of this age group are most fertile whereas, the older women have fewer eggs of lower quality. The success rate of IVF drops with a female’s growing age. For instance, younger women have a 40% success rate while older women have a 4% success rate.
- Previous Pregnancy: The IVF also depends upon their past pregnancy. If a particular couple’s previous pregnancy has been successful, then there are more chances of having a successful pregnancy through IVF too. However, multiple miscarriages and fertility issues make the process difficult for women.
- Types of fertility problems: The fertility issues like dual ovaries, uterine abnormalities, and fibroid tumours increase the difficulties for the women to conceive again.
- Donor Eggs: Using Donor eggs whose qualities of eggs are good to increase the positive results for the younger women.
- Sperm Quality: If the quality of male sperm is low, it decreases the chances of a happy pregnancy. The fertility specialist can find a solution to the sperm problem.
- Egg and Embryo Quality: The quality of eggs and embryo depends upon certain factors such as sperm quality, ovarian reserve, and stimulation protocol. Higher the quality of eggs in a patient more is the chances of pregnancy.
- Lifestyle &Habits: The woman who has the habit of smoking and drinking alcohols has to stop smoking and drinking for 3 months before undergoing the procedure of IVF. It is believed that woman who has smoking experience has more failed fertilization cycles and unable to conceive.
- Overweight:Overweight women have fewer chances of having a baby and increase the risk of miscarriages.The women need to control their weight and give more focus to their diet.
- Menstruation Cycle: The regular menstruation cycles are important for successful fertilization as irregular menstruation makes it difficult for women to conceive.
- Fertility Clinic: Choose your fertility clinic wisely after keeping in mind certain points like:
- The experience and background of the clinic
- The experience of treating IVF specialists
- The number of patients treated successfully
- The live birth rate achieved by IVF cycles by the chosen clinic.
- Uterine Receptivity: The Embryo quality depends upon certain factors like thickness of uterine lining, uterine cavity’s contour, and other immunological factors that are required for healthy embryos.
- Controlled Ovarian Stimulation Protocol: The number of COSprotocols exist in IVF. There are varied types of protocol made for an individual patient. It results in more favourable chances for women.
- Embryo Transfer: It is the most critical step in the process of In-vitro Fertilization. The healthy embryo and successful implantation lead to a happy and healthy pregnancy.
As mentioned above, women should keep in mind the factors before undertaking IVF procedures and ensures a healthy and safe diet.
IVF Success Rate
The women before considering the procedure of IVF must keep certain success factors in their mind.
There are many factors playing a very important role in successful pregnancy through IVF. The following chart shows the possibility of pregnancy through IVF procedures:
As per research, the younger women have more chances of successful pregnancy and older women have fewer chances of pregnancy. The research also states successful chances of having a baby through donor eggs is 50.7%. The body mass index in older women is 30% as compared to younger women. The endometrial thickness of less than 7mm decreases the chances for women to become a mother.
The women should adopt stress-relieving techniques like listening to music, mind-body programs that help women to cope up with the stress of infertility. The Deficiency in Vitamin D also leads to infertility and worst IVF outcomes. However, miscarriages, hypertension problems decrease the chances of having a baby.
It is said that women who smoke regularly reduces the chances of IVF by 50% as compared to non-smokers and also, increases the risk of miscarriage by 30%. The women should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol before taking the procedure of IVF and intake a healthy diet. Women with specific ovary genotype have fewer chances in pregnancy through IVF procedures. The level of progesterone is associated with lower pregnancy rates in IVF cycles.
The researcher’s investigation shows that the US adopted the treatment of IVF due to which the live birth rates are steady till the year 2002 but after 2002 there is a huge decline in the birth rate in the year of 2003-2007. However, there is an increase in the birth rate again in the year of 2008-2010 but after that, there is consecutively decrease in the birth rate. The pattern of incline and decline in the birth rate is seen in the regions of Canada, Australia, Japan, Latin America, and New Zealand. But in India, the IVF success rate is increasing. Overall, the IVF outcome worldwide is good People are able to trust the IVF procedure and it is becoming the source of parenthood for many couples deprived of a child.
Factors Affecting IVF Success
The women before undergoing the treatment of IVF should consider the side effects of treatment such as bloating, headaches, allergic reaction from medicine, bleeding,mood swings, etc. Constant talk with the fertility specialists will help a couple to know the pros and cons of the treatment.
Nevertheless, some women are still not able to conceive even after undertaking IVF procedures because of the following reasons:
- Follicles are not produced enough for the retrieval of eggs.
- The eggs are not fertilized properly.
- The qualities of eggs are not good enough for fertilization.
- Embryo Transfer is not successful; hence embryo is not placed correctly in the uterus of the women.
- Inadequate Ovarian Stimulation is another factor due to which the IVF process fails.
- The cells of cumulus oophorus and membrane granulose also result in lower/higher pregnancy rates.
There are a few factors affecting IVF success rate. Hence, it is very important to consult experienced and highly qualified IVF specialists near you. Couples worried about their infertility problem can consult the trusted IVF specialists like India IVF Clinic and others. The treatment under the guidance of experienced doctor can undoubtedly increase your chances of getting pregnant soon.