If you want to enjoy motherhood but due to some complications, you are not getting pregnant then there is no need to feel disheartened as with the advancement in science and technology you can enjoy motherhood. The only important need is to consult an experienced and renowned infertility specialist near you. The consultation will help your doctor understand your problem, study medical history, and prevailing health conditions. It will help you get the solution to your need for enjoying successful pregnancy.
By getting fertility tests for women done you can get favourable results without experiencing any kind of side effects as well. Infertility means trying to get pregnant (with regular intercourse) for at least 6-12 months with no success. Female infertility, male infertility, or a combination of the two today has affected millions of couples across the globe. An estimated 10 to 18 percent of couples are getting it difficult to enjoy parenthood.
What are the symptoms of infertility?
The main reasons to get a female infertility testdone are to know the reasons for not being able to conceive. A menstrual cycle that’s too long (more than 35 days), too short (less than 21 days), irregularity, etc. means that women are not ovulating/ or not ovulating on time . There are no particular or straightforward symptoms of infertility.
You need to seek a doctor in case:
- If you are up to age 35, in that case, most doctors will advise you to try to get pregnant for at least a year before getting tested or treated.
- In case you are aged between 35 and 40, then you need to talk to your doctor after six months of treatment.
- If you are more than 40, your doctor will ask you to start testing or treatment right away.
Fertility testing & diagnosis
In case a woman is not able to get pregnant after more than one year of trying then it is advised to consider fertility tests for women. With the help of fertility testing, the exact cause of infertility in women will be known, as it includes adiscussion of medical history with the doctor, blood tests and minimally invasive procedures that all will help in enjoying a healthy pregnancy. But in case, the testing fails to identify a particular cause, then it is being referred to as “unexplained infertility,” which affects almost 15 to 30% of infertile couples in the world.
A woman should opt for female infertility testingin case she wants to enjoy pregnancy and having unprotected intercourse on a regular basis with her partner, still not able to conceive. In case a woman is more than 35 years, then the doctors’ advice to take fertility testing after six months of trying to get pregnant should be respected. Based onseveral studies, it has been found that infertility can affect both men and women equally. So it is important for men as well to get infertility tests done.
The female fertility tests will help to know the cause(s) of infertility so that the procedure to cure it can start accordingly.
Fertility tests for womenmostly include:
- Medical history discussion of the patient, especially it helps in checking ovulation or menstrual cycle issues.
- Blood tests are done to check hormone levels and ovarian reserve.
- Pelvic examination.
- Sometimes, invasive treatments like ultrasound imaging (sonogram) and surgeryare also considered to check for structural causes of infertility.
Which women should consider fertility testing?
In addition to women who are not able to get pregnant for at least a year (six months if over age 35), women having the following conditions should also go for the fertility testing:
- Diagnosed reproductive system issues of the fallopian tubes, ovaries or uterus.
- Menstruation that is heavy, irregular (more than 35 days between periods) or shorter.
- Many miscarriages in the past.
- History of pelvic inflammatory disease, pelvic pain or endometriosis.
- Partner with suspected or identified male infertility.
Fertility Tests for women
An evaluation of a woman for female infertility testing is needed for women who are not able to become pregnant even after 12 months of regular and unprotected intercourse with their partner. Getting tested early is important especially for women who are more than 35 years old or the ones who have the following conditions:
- History of irregular menstrual cycles will be considered.
- They might have suspected problems with the uterus (womb), tubes, or other problems in the abdominal cavity (like endometriosis or adhesions)
- Known or suspected male infertility problems
The evaluation for infertility must be done in a focused and cost-effective method as it will help in identifying the real cause of it. Fertility treatment should include the testing of both male and female partners. The least invasive methods that can easily detect the main cause of infertility must be conducted first. The speed and extent of evaluation must be done taking into account the couple’s preferences, age of the women, the duration of infertility, and unique features of the medical history and physical examination.
Some of the female infertility tests that are performed by the doctors include:
- Medical history assessment
In the initial stage, the fertility specialist will ask different questions related to the woman’s health and sexual history. It is important to learn the patient’s history before starting with the procedure. For instance, the physician must know if the patient has any prior sexually transmitted infection or infrequent ovulation/menstrual periods that might be the cause of infertility. The first appointment with the doctor will help in determining how further testing must be conducted.
- Sonogram (ultrasound imaging)
After the initial consult, the fertility specialist might perform a sonogram of the woman’s pelvic area as it will help in determining the issues that affect her fertility. By conducting a pelvic ultrasound, problems like the abnormally shaped uterus or cysts in the ovaries can be diagnosed.
- Hormone blood tests
The blood tests are conducted at different times during a woman’s menstrual cycle as it helps in calculating hormone levels in the blood. For an egg to reach maturation and the ovaries to release an egg, it is important for a woman to have balanced hormone levels. The doctor who is conducting a blood hormone test will let the patient know whether they are producing high quality eggs or not, and whether the brain is properly sending hormonal signals to the ovaries. Other possible blood tests for hormones areanti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) and estradiol.
- Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Test
This test is useful in calculating the level of anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) in the blood. The role of AMH and if the levels are normal is based on the age and gender of the patient undergoing the test.
In women, AMH levels can produce information about fertility, their ability to become pregnant. The test is also used to look for the cure and treatment of the menstrual disorders along with monitoring the health of women that have different kinds of ovarian cancer. AMH test for infertility has great importance and it should be done only by the medical experts.
This test is useful in case:
- A woman is trying to get conceived from the past six months and want to know whether the ovarian reserve is appropriate for their age
- In case you are looking for IVF or some Fertility Tests for women, as low levels of AMH is an indicator of a potentially poor response to IVF.
- In case you have chemotherapy or ovarian surgery and want to know whether it will affect your fertility in the future or not.
- You are suspected to have an ovarian tumour.
- It helps in predicting the starting of menopause, a time in a woman’s life when her menstrual periods stopped.Thus, making it difficult to get pregnant anymore. This mostly starts when a woman is 45 years old or more than that.
- In case you want to conceive in the future, and curious to know your current medical position
Why get the AMH test done?
In addition to getting difficulty in conceiving, there is a need for AMH test for female in case you have symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- In case of irregular menstrual, which means early menopause or amenorrhea
- Excess body and facial hair growth
- Decreased breast size
- Increase in body weight
Ovarian Reserve Test
Testing for ovarian reserve assesses the potential number of eggs a woman has in her ovaries. Ovarian reserve testing might include an ultrasound or blood tests. These female infertility testing are suggested in case woman is at high risk of having a depleted ovarian reserve.
Some of the risks include:
- Unexplained infertility diagnosis.
- Age 35 or older.
- Detailed history of early menopause.
- Previous reproductive surgery.
- Having only one ovary.
- Previous gonadotropin ovarian stimulation.
- Early treatment with toxic agents such as chemotherapy.
Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgery where the doctors will insert a camera and small surgical instruments into the abdominal cavity by doing a small incision in the belly button. Laparoscopic surgery is useful in identifying and treating endometriosis along with removing uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, and scar tissue.
In this procedure, a saline solution is used to fill the uterine cavity and a transvaginal ultrasound so that a clear image of the uterus can be created. The procedure will help in checking uterine lesions and irregular growths including fibroids or polyps.
A hysterosalpingogram is a method where an X-ray image of a woman’s fallopian tubes and the uterus is created. The specialist of fertility tests for women will insert a catheter (small tube) that include dye into the cervix which will assist in showing the structure of the uterus and fallopian tubes on the X-ray. This procedure is useful in locating obstructions in the fallopian tubes or uterine cavity, like polyps and fibroids, and will detect any unusually shaped uterus.
This minimally invasive surgical means of viewing and diagnosing polyps and fibroids in the uterus involves a small camera inserted in the cervix. This procedure is also useful in repairingthe abnormalities in the uterine cavity like polyps, fibroids, uterine septa, etc. inside the uterine cavity.
Ultrasound is anon-invasive method to examine a woman’s reproductive system. This procedure is useful in diagnosing anatomic problems like uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Other Blood Tests
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and prolactin levels are some of the tests that are used to identify thyroid disorders and hyperprolactinemia that might be causing problems with fertility, menstrual irregularities, and repeated miscarriages. In case women have higher hirsutism, blood tests for dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), 17-α hydroxyprogesterone and total testosterone will be considered by the doctors.
In case you are also having difficulty getting pregnant, you need to consult your doctor who will start with the testing or treatment right away. So get fertility tests for women done by taking the help of the medical professionalswho are well-versed of using the advanced procedure thus allowing you to enjoy parenthood.
To get the best results, the infertility evaluation must be selected based on every woman’s specific circumstances and medical history. Infertility has become a curse today and many families are in trauma because of the fear of inability to enjoy the happiness of a child. There are many renowned infertility clinics today know for delivering success. India IVF Fertility Clinic is one of the most preferred clinics for infertility treatment and the IVF process.
Since IVF and fertility tests are vital, male and females are advised to choose experienced medical specialist only to get the different fertility tests for women done.